- Each session is six months long.
- Each class is three hours long. Students attend classes twice a week.
- Students learn how to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. They also learn how to send email and navigate the Internet.
- Students participate in a Success Strategies program where they learn to create a resume and cover letter, practice interviewing for a job and learn how to conduct a job search.
- The materials and enrollment fee is $200.
CORE Graduate Success
Unemployment in the DC metro area ranged from 4.9% and 6.6% in 2010. We took a survery of our graduates and found that, even with those discouraging figures, CORE grads had launched new careers, grown in their jobs and continued learning.
- Live in Northern Virginia
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Be over 18 years of age
- Have no previous computer skills
- Speak, read and write English at a sixth grade level or higher
- Have income at or below these levels:
- $26,000 for 1 person
- $35,000 for 2 people
- $44,000 for 3 people
- $53,000 for 4 people
- Add $9,000 for each additional person.
Required Eligibility Documentation
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States (birth certificate, passport, work authorization, etc.)
- Proof of household income (IRS 1040 form)
- Photo identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
- Proof of home address (utility bill showing name and address, etc.)
- Decide if Computer CORE is right for you. Do you want a new job or a promotion? Do you want a job where you will make $25,000-$30,000 a year? Do you want an administrative job, such as bank teller, hotel front desk, accounting assistant or medical office administrative assistant?
- Attend an information session. In this session, we will give full details about the program and answer your questions.
- Complete an application and schedule an admissions interview.
- Attend your interview. At the interview, you must provide eligibility documents, complete a three-part English language exam and talk with a volunteer about why CORE’s program is right for you.
Classes start in January and July of each year. To apply, please contact Tim Howard, Admissions Manager, at (703) 931-7346 x101.